Sheila-Na-Gig Editions Chapbook Competition for Poets Under Age 30
Sheila-Na-Gig Editions invites entries for poetry chapbooks by authors under age 30. January 1 through July 1, yearly Please follow the guidelines below to be eligible for the contests:
- Submit a chapbook-length poetry manuscript (40-60 pgs) via Submittable. Manuscripts will not be considered via email or snail mail.
- Poems may be previously published in journals or online, if you own the rights for reprints.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please notify us immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere. Reading fees are not refundable.
Work will be judged on the merits of the manuscripts alone. Please help us judge the work in a “blind” forum by following these next guidelines carefully:
- DO NOT include a bio or formal cover letter.
- DO NOT include an acknowledgments page for previously published work. If your manuscript is selected for publication, you may send along this information later.
- DO NOT include your name ANYWHERE on your manuscript or in the Submittable title of your submission. Submissions that reveal authors’ identities will be disqualified, and fees will not be refunded.
- SPECIAL REQUEST: If we have published your work at Sheila-Na-Gig online, PLEASE DO NOT include these poems in your manuscript. If your manuscript is selected, you may put these poems back in.
- One manuscript will be selected for publication by Sheila-Na-Gig Editions. For a sample volumes, check out https://sheilanagigblog.com/sheila-na-gig-editions/
- $500 honorarium + 50% royalties
- 25 copies of the published manuscript (and 55% discounts on future orders)
- All participants will receive a copy of the winning volume upon publication. International participants will receive ebook copies.
THE READING FEE: $20.00
THE SUBMISSION PERIOD: January 1 — July 1
THE JUDGE: Hayley Mitchell Haugen, Founder & Editor, Sheila-Na-Gig online & Sheila-Na-Gig Editions: https://sheilanagigblog.com/about/
RESPONSE TIME: As we judge the work, participants will be notified if their work is declined for further consideration. We will strive to make final decisions by August 1 each year.
THE FINE PRINT: Sheila-Na-Gig Editions reserves the right to not select winning manuscripts if none meet our standards for publication. In the case of this unlikely event, reading fees will be refunded. We really want to publish manuscripts, however! Familiarize yourself with the works on Sheila-Na-Gig online to get a sense of our aesthetic. We publish well-crafted free verse poetry and especially seek poems with excellent imagery and a strong sense of voice.