The Women of Appalachia Project™ will celebrate its 15th Anniversary beginning March 2024. Submit your work for inclusion in the Women of Appalachia Project’s 15th Anniversary Women Speak Anthology.
SUBMISSIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED JUNE 29 and 30, 2023: (Submittable may depict the due date as July 1, but the portal will close promptly on June 30, 11:59 PM (Pacific time). We will not re-open the portal for late submissions. Thanks for your understanding.
• Women residing in or having strong ties to any of the 420 Appalachian counties are eligible to submit. Also, women whose ancestors identified as Appalachian.
• Entrants must be at least 16 years or older.
• Media accepted include poetry OR short story, essay, memoir (max. 2500 words) OR song. ORIGINAL WORK ONLY.
• Musicians must email audio MP3 format files of each piece submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Previously unpublished work is preferred or please note first publication.
• Work previously read/performed in this exhibition may not be re-submitted.
Writers may enter a maximum of three (3) poems OR (3) songs OR one (1) short story OR 1) essay or memoir, MAXIMUM 2500 WORDS. Both fiction and non-fiction will be considered. Do NOT mix genres.
Use Times font, 12 pt., single-spaced: at the top of the page
1. type your name
2. your address
3. next, the title of your piece
4. next, flow the body of your work/pieces
Provide a 50-word, third person bio in the box provided on Submittable. A cover letter is not required.
The anthology of accepted work will be published by Sheila-Na-Gig Editions and marketed on Amazon, in bookstores, and gift shops. Those selected for publication will receive one contributor copy and discount author pricing for any additional copies you wish to purchase.
• Writers/poets/musicians who are accepted will be notified by email by September 15, 2023.
March 16, 2024 Clarksburg-Harrison Library, Clarksburg, WV
March 21, 2024: Poetry in the Boro, Murfreesboro, TN
April 6, 2024: Berea College, KY, sponsored by the Loyal Jones Appalachian Center
April 13, 2024: Fairmont State University, Fairmont WV
May 17, 2024: Dairy Barn Art Center, Athens OH
June (TBD) ETSU, Johnson City, TN
For those who find travel difficult, I will schedule a virtual reading in February 2024, sponsored by WOAP and Sheila-Na-Gig Editions.(NOTE: Additional reading venues will very likely be added to this list)